Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Trader job
Thread: Trader job
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 PM
Unregistered

Looking at how the industry's doing right now, I'm sure you would know all the regulatory actions taken on the banks are taking prop trading out of the question. Most equities/FX trading desk are driven by automation nowdays, reducing the actual need for physical human traders. And if you do get there, you probably would end up being a market maker more than anything.

You're right about places like BP/Shell though the route to get there is insanely arduous. BP has a 3-5 yr program which doesn't even guarantee you to become a trader. I think what you should be looking at are hedge funds/smaller trading firms but that being said, those are more quantitative in nature (think coding, algos, the likes).

Goodluck for your internship application at BP but I would say if you dont hear from them in 2weeks to a month after your application, you're probably not considered already. Also, keep in mind that applications (FI, MNCs, wherever) are very streamlined nowadays, its hard to prove your trading track records, whichever stage of recruitment you might be at.