Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Accountancy vs Chemical engineering.
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastoon View Post
hi guys, the university application is around the corner and i need help deciding between these two courses. Im applying for the course that has the best prospect. If i were to apply for NTU accountancy, i would most probably be working for a big 4 auditing firm with a starting pay of 2.7k, but from what i heard, the salary progression is pretty fast and i would most probably be able to hit 5k after 4 years to 5 years. But if i choose to go to NUS chemical engineering instead, i would be aiming for big O&G companies like shell and exxon. I do know Shell and Exxon have a higher starting salary of 3.4k-3.6k with at least 3 months bonus, but i am unsure of their salary progression 3 or 4 years down the road. Can someone please give me any advice?
First of all, the chances of getting into Shell/Exxon is very very slim unless you are a top scorer in uni and can outshine a lot of other ivy leauers, dean's list, FCH etc. during AC. They seldom hire fresh executives w/o going through the super hard MAP.

Secondly your starting pay and bonus market intel on Shell/Exxon is not accurate. More importantly, Shell/Exxon MAP progress so fast there is no way a typical big4 auditor can even match half the pay of a Shell/Exxon MAP graduate after 5 years. A typical big4 auditor draws 5k on a 14 month package after 5 years while a Shell/Exxon MAP draws 9-10k on a 20 month annual package for the same time. My good friend is Exxon MAP so I know how fast their pay can increase (~20% every 6 months during the MAP duration)

I suggest if you are just average student, it is better to make decision based on big4 accounting/auditing career vs fresh executive in other smaller O&G players. That way you have a more realistic apple to apple comparison.