Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What an angry reply...

I'll just like to state a few points here...

I was an engineering graduate and I did my internship in A-star. Life as a researcher is rather stagnant. Unlike what you mentioned, I find that A-star does pay well. Maybe one man's food is another man's poison, but the A-star starting pay is definitely above the industry average for a fresh engineering graduate.

Yes, indeed, many engineering graduates turn over to the financial sector. Why? Because if you can achieve the highest returns while utilizing the lowest resources, then your resources have been used efficiently. Although the finance sector might require long working hours, the pay increase in the starting years is rather substantial depending on performance and your contacts. In this sector, your most important resource in terms of career advancement (time) would be made use of efficiently.

Needless to say, this is also possible as an engineer, but the chances are lower. Engineering is a stable career and you will find that your bosses will be rather unwilling to leave because they are sitting in their office with a comfortable paycheck and steady job. That is why it might take many more years to jump into a technical management role as compared to the finance sector. However, I do not agree that a mediocre engineer can do just as well in the finance sector. The financial sector is a cut-throat industry, where performance is key.

I am an engineer myself, and I wouldn't consider myself very smart or very capable. I too have considered moving on to the finance sector, but it is indeed hard to change your path when you are drawing a $4300 salary (excluding bonuses) after 1.5 years of working experience. I think the catch is all about choosing the right industry to be an engineer.
No prizes for guessing which industry. =)
Can I know are you a 2nd upper/1st class honours grad?
Are you still working in A*Star after you grad? if not Private sector or government sector?
You grad in which year?
Which industry are you in as an engineer?

I find it very curious how you manage to get a pay of $4300 after 1.5 years of exp from fresh grad?

I was also an engineer grad from ntu 2nd lower, after 2 year 8mth in the same company, my basic is still less than $3200.

Can you tell how u get to $4300 basic in 1.5 years