Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are you looking a PR in the advertising/PR way? In Min/SB their PR and Corp Comms depts do mainly media relations and some events or roadshows. At most places, Div 2 officers are support officers. They don't do any comms plan or events planning, just the support work like preparing news clippings, help to write a bit for their publications, prepare catering for events, etc. If these are what you don't mind doing for about a year or two, I think it is not a bad start if you really want to do comms. The salary range is about $2,053 - $3,260, it takes between 3-6 years for a promotion. Increment for me is 4% yearly and a promotion is less than 9%.

I joined my current company as they had an op's team for events and international relations. Then a re-org happened, I got absorbed into comms. I graduated with a tourism diploma. To me, as long as the company is willing to give you the opportunity, I don't see any harm in trying to see if it fits you. A year later, if you decided to further your studies, they might even offer you a scholarship (local 4 yrs bond, overseas 6 yrs bond). As long as you do your work well and have a good attitude, I can't see why you can't progress from there. Caveat: I don't suck balls.
I know a few real life examples who managed to luck into corp comms as a result of re-org. I was one of them, but that's because I was already working as a marketing communications executive, and was already proven excellent in communications work. The ones I know of that was absorbed into corp comms (not the same company) are relegated to the events planning part of comms, probably because of the lack of competency in writing or managing actual comms work.

You can't expect to go into a company as a position unrelated to corp comms, and hoping that somehow the company has a restructuring and re-assign you to your desired position . Life does not work this way, and honestly speaking, it's an unrealistic strategy. Yes, you can use it as a stepping stone, but I don't think you should pin your hopes on it cos it really depends on your luck. One also need to consider that govt stat boards may not necessary have entry level corp comms position for diploma holders.