Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2015, 09:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregisteredgal View Post
Thanks for the info =) I actually always thought UQ was higher ranked than USyd and definitely more popular. Hmm.. didn't know they looked at the top 3 only. My honours year was on campus. I guess my first 3 years also considered on-campus. Except not in australia. Uni is one of the group of 8 but shall not name the exact uni (but not the 3 you mentioned. was real close to applying for ANU honours though). But actually there are 7 Aust uni that are ranked above NTU on QS psychology world rankings 2014 so I wonder why only those three you mentioned are considered. Haha! Anyways do they normally bin before calling you up for psychometrics or after? I got email the day after applying asking me to go down for psychometric test so means they looked at my application?

I did read a lot about local degree being the favoured ones though. I was just hoping that at least for research jobs, they'd take into consideration that we completed theses although many organisations really seem to miss them out or their portals don't let you tell the recruiters that you've a thesis or maybe even publication. Seems some organisations do get pleasantly surprised when they realise you've actually written a thesis. Lol.
Everyone is sent for psychometric, regardless of whether your application has been seen or not. This is so that it makes the process much more faster and streamlined. It will be a waste of time to call you for an interview first and then you go ahead and fail the psycho test. Group of 8 isnt that big of a deal. In terms of rankings, not everything is in black and white. They look at the universities holistically too. Say for example, a philosophy masters graduate from Rutgers University and a philosophy graduate from Cambridge University both apply for a defence policy job in mindef. It is highly likely that the cambridge grad will get the job. However, Rutgers is ranked higher in terms of philosophy than Cambridge is!

Rankings also include research quality of the faculty members, which might not translate to quality of students. Quality of students is more related to the rigor of the curriculum, which most Australian universities lack when compared to Asian institutes. So what if you've completed a theses? So has every other local uni honors graduate out there lol. What's your readership? How many researchers have cited your paper?

IMO UQ is more popular among Singaporeans because they give liberal exemptions to poly grads.