Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)
View Single Post
Old 25-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Distance or on-campus? Exact uni? I can tell you that mindef throws alot of applications in the bin very quickly. Especially for jobs with high number of applications like defence psychologist or defence policy. I do my share of shredding everyday. Yes, these applications need to be literally shredded so that sensitive info wont be leaked out. DL degree holders without anything more than 5 years exp get binned without my boss even looking at it. For on-campus Oz we usually stick to the top 3. Being ANU, Umelb and Usyd. The rest gets thrown out most of the time.

Im an NSF clerk working for a certain dept. Though it might not be the same dept that you applied for. I'm not too sure if my place is the only one that deals with psychologists but I highly doubt so.

If you're applying at this time, you have better chances. Usually if we get tons and tons of applications during the May period like last year, everything gets thrown out other than local universities. There are no oxbridge/harvard or top ivy schools that apply for psych jobs either from what I've seen so far. There were tons of Oz uni applicants that had to be thrown out though. Especially Distance-Learning ones. There are just too many applications for a very limited number of jobs, sometimes 4-5 openings can get around 100 applications. So the main groups of applicants are NUS/NTU/SMU. Oz on-campus and Oz-distance learning in that order of preference. During this period before graduation, your application might get a good look. But if you apply anytime between May and August, it will be very difficut.
Hi, thanks so much for sharing.

Just wondering if you can shed light on where UK universities stand in relation to NUS/NTU/SMU for popular positions like defence psych and policy, as you mentioned.

Specifically, what if it's not oxbridge but still a fairly well-regarded uni, such as UCL, LSE or Edinburgh?

Or one tier below those, such as Nottingham or Manchester? ie. still well-regarded but not among the top top unis in the UK.

Do these stand on equal footing with NUS/NTU/SMU?

Also what if I have a Masters and I apply for those positions? Do I stand a better chance than bachelor degree holders or will I be seen as 'overqualified'?