Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Help in career path (low expectations)
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2015, 01:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm not in a public sector lol. Although that was what I wanted to do in the past. I applied for a few policy positions in a few ministries and got interviewed and accepted by MFA. But I turned it down in the end. I'm currently pursuing my Phd locally. At first I thought I would work, but I got accepted for a post-grad Phd scholarship so I'm doing that instead now. I'm only in my first year and its not so bad. The university pays me 3.3k/mth to teach undergrads and do my own research. 1.5k 'IT allowance' a year to pay for laptop and/or tablets. MFA offered way higher though, 4.1k after NS. But MFA would mean work while university would mean doing what I loved, so I chose academia. Whether I stay in academia or make a transition over to the public sector after my Phd remains to be seen.
Thanks for answering, that sounds super awesome. I too, am willing to take lesser money if it means I could do what I enjoy and/or have more time for other more important things in life.

Do Phds in the public service have an 'easy' ride? I hear that policy type roles tend to be worked harder than the average civil servant.