Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed for Ivy-L Grad down on his luck.
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 01:13 AM

Flyinghome is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

Thanks for your input. About the value of my degree, I'm just going to say that I didn't throw money at my Uni to get in. My place was offered due to my past ECAs, leadership activities and GRE score despite my in-the-toilet grades all through my academic life. I was very happy that they saw beyond my paper qualifications.

About my program, almost everyone has been placed. There is a big discrepancy between internationals and citizens. Almost all internationals are under-employed in small companies. I had a similar offer awhile ago, but I didn't have the stomach and foresight to take it. The citizens are all employed by fortune 100 companies and top 10 management/tech consulting firms, though nobody made it into a front desk financial position this year.

What I'm trying to get out of this forum, is more knowledge to decide whether should I take this job or not?

If I finish the 2 year MT program and at that point decide to move into another industry or a role in banking is the transitition easy or impossible?

A classmate of mine returned to india and after interviewing for 2 months got an Ibanking job in a japanese bank.

I haven't tried banking yet as a industry, as I am mainly an engineer type person, but what are my chances coming back to Singapore right now, at this time? And being only an average student with some interesting life experience?