Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - DSTA (under Mindef)
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

I am a fresh graduate from local uni with second upper degree (Business). I was invited for an interview with DSTA soon. I didn't expect to be shortlisted, but well, I was. Strangely, but now, I am having second thoughts about working in DSTA.

I am concern with:
1) Whether if the experience/ skills I learn in DSTA (if I able to secure the job) could be of transferable and recognize by private employers if I decided to switch jobs after 2 to 5 years.

2) Is DSTA starting salary for fresh graduate consider very high when compared across market rate, even compared to the private sector?

3) Do you think if I planned to continue to stay in DSTA for a long time, would my salary be similar (or a bit higher) than my peers in private sector who switch jobs to get higher pay?

As I am the oldest siblings (and even among my cousins), I really do not have any one to consult to and ask for opinions about working life, or even working in a public sector. Thankfully I manage to find this forum and would like to ask you guys about this. I hope that you guys, especially those who are working in DSTA or have worked in DSTA before, to provide me on your insights in this.

Your opinions matters to me a lot, and will definitely shape my starting path for my career.

Thank you very much.
1) This depends on what your job scope will be like and where you would like to head to when you go over to private. IMO, young fresh grads, especially those from biz like you should start out in private sector when you still have a lot of energy. Down the line, when you are older, you can make the shift to public and get a pay cut in exchange for more free time. When you are older, it will be much harder for you to make the shift to private and you will be reluctant to do it. At the end of the day, you might just end up stagnating.

2) For science and engine grads, yes, their pay is usually pretty high. For biz grad, probably not. Might be similar or even lower as compared to other ministries. DEFINITELY lower than private sector in the long run. After 2-3 years, your biz peers in private sector confirm surpass you by at least 35% of your pay.

3) No. DSTA might be the wrong stat board for you. IMO, biz grads don't really go far in public sectors. Public sectors tend to prefer academics, i.e. economists, statisticians, and for DSTA's case, engineers and scientists. If you stayed in DSTA for long, maybe you can rise up, but they will always pick an engineer or scientist to be at the top, since they will understand the ground better. DSTA is mainly a procurement arm for military weapons, although they do some research and development themselves as well. But although they are the procurement, their people must be able to understand weaponry and equipment well, something a biz grad definitely would not be able to grasp.

Your pay would definitely be much lower than your pte sector peers in the long run. Biz grads can really earn big bucks in the pte sector. Especially for a person like you with a second upper. IMO, you should go into the pte sector first. Gain experience and also earn a lot of money. Once you feel you are tired, wanna settle down and slow down your pace, transit over to the public sector and take a pay cut.