Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed for Ivy-L Grad down on his luck.
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Flyinghome is on a distinguished road
Default Advice needed for Ivy-L Grad down on his luck.

Hi all. I hope you can help me analyze my situation.
I have finished a masters engineering degree in an Ivy school in the US.
Previously I was a 2nd lower student in NTU mech-eng. I've been working in the states part time for the last Six months and haven't found a reasonable job. I'm giving up on staying in the states now and have one option of employment back home.

I've found a position as a management trainee in a Government-related company( Along the lines of Keppel/SMRT). I'm being offered 3300 a month and have to sign a 18 month contract. I don't feel this is a good deal, but this is the only Singaporean company who have been willing to interview and offer me a job while I'm in the states.

What should I be doing now? If I enter and finish a Management Trainee program, with the intention of leaving for a different company/role when I'm done is it a good idea? Does just having a Management Trainee program without further experience look ok on your resume? Is accepting a pay grade of 3300 going to dictate my further earnings forever?

I've been out of work for 6 months and am concerned that remaining unemployed for so long looks very bad on my resume, but yet I unsure if taking on a Management Trainee program for the next 18 months will help me get a good career.

Please advise.