Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Deputy Director or Director - Civil Service earns?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Paladin18 is on a distinguished road

I'm a Deputy Director in a Stat Board heading a policy unit, with concurrent duties in marcoms and corporate comms. Been at this position for a little over 2 years. Monthly income $8,400 excluding Jul/Dec Bonus, 13th month and PB. Annual income last year including bonuses came to about $145,000.

I don't consider myself a high flyer so I think is more or less the a normal salary for Deputy Directors with my sort of background. Prior to that, spent 10 years in a Ministry, including a couple overseas postings. 2nd Class Upper Honours from NUS, non-scholar. Did not go for Masters and I come from a non-technical background.

The terms Assistant Director, Senior Assistant Director and Deputy Directors are used very loosely in the Singapore government setup. This has largely to do with the latitude and autonomy accorded to each Ministry and government agency since the 1990s. Consequently, there is a wide variance in the scope of responsibilities amongst government agencies for officers who hold the abovementioned ranks.

In some Ministries, Assistant Directors are entry-level positions. The situation is complicated by the introduction of appointments like Manager, which is not a rank in the typical Civil Service. Hope this helps.