Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 17-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Unregistered

Mental health is as important as physical health, if not more important. If you are in a state of mental distress which makes you abnormal, then it is best to quit ypur job and retire. You can then go for some less stressful but more meaningful work such as volunteering in charities.

You can retire now. Here's how:

1. Sell your EC and buy a 5 bedroom HDB flat. Nowadays you can get a flat for only $350k.
2. Use the cash balance plus your savings to buy high dividend yield stocks giving you 6% pa dividends. Assuming you have in total $2m worth of stocks, that will give you $120k pa in dividends.
3. Since your expenses is less than $100k, you will have excess every year which you can reinvest to buy more stocks.

I was in your situation and my mental health was terrible. I quit my job and make adjustments in my life. My family was understanding as they love me very much. Instead of living in a big landed house, we downgraded to a smaller penthouse condo. We are very happy today. I am a more cheerful and positive person now.

All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Married graduate couple, 43/39, 2 teenage kids
Wife is stay at home mum for past 6 yrs
Combined CPF (OA+SA+MA) $300k
Cash savings $900k (savings from 6 yrs overseas posting)
EC home $1.1m (no more loan)
Stocks currently worth $500k
HH expenditure <$100kpa
Debt free
Total combined net worth ~$2.5m excl CPF

Thinking to do some crazy things: quit my good paying but stressful job & take a year off. Any advice?