Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Bell curve grading used by statutory board for employees
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Unregistered

I don't think there's anything wrong for the bell curved grading. The grading, or annual appraisal is used to evaluate the performance and inevitably will lead to a ranking from top performer to bottom. If the company use a very low threshold and everybody passes, then from the employer's perspective, they can obviously and most like will expect more achievement from the staff as a whole. So they'll raise the threshold and eventually some employee will fall short to that. It is the nature of capitalism.

However, while I think the grading follow a bell curve is reasonable, I think the bonus/increment difference can be designed better to really motivate all staff. And money shall not be the only result from each year's appraisal. Employees should be given chances to do things they're better at if they didn't perform in their current post. And another thing I'm not seeing being practiced but I think should be, is that for the first 1-2 years, the employee's appraisal should also be reflected in the appraisal of his/her supervisor and the management that hires him/her. This will motivate the management to really put in some effort training and supervising their staff.