Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Salaries of Professors in SG
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Verified Member

mangos47 is on a distinguished road

I've had master student who went on to pursue PhD or do postdoc in US/UK etc. and come back start assist.prof career. It is in fact not that difficult since local Universities also want to have more Singaporean-born professors to balance the team (lots of Chinese/Indian professor hired in last two decades so the ratio of local was kinda of a problem)

I'd say study hard and aim for a top PhD program in US/UK early on is a good strategy. You can focus more on theoretical research and publications if doing academia is your ultimate goal.

Pay-wise I know fresh PhD from US top schools join NUS and get 120k/year. My professor who has been with NUS ECE for 25 years when I was in school draws about 250k/year and prabably more now. It also depends on faculty. CS professor maybe similar to engineering. Business and law tends to make more especially if got consultation side-job. Medicine and dental professors are usually also practicing in NUS as well and their pay is way higher.

But being a professor the first 5-10 years is not easy. Getting funding and generating publication to earn tenure is no easy task for young graduates.