Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 25-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

These are hard times for the young ones. I remember when I did my interview and my boss asked me "why this practice area?" I remember replying "Actually, I don't really know what I want, but I've got to start somewhere and I thought this was as good a place as any other."

I had zero internships and no work experience or uni modules to suggest that I was remotely keen on that practice group or any other for that matter. Everything on my CV and in my interview reflected a whole lot of apathy and a lack of direction. Despite my crappy answer, I was hired on the spot.

Five years on, I'm still here - happy, contented and looking to stay for the next ten years. On the other hand, many of those who showed lots of zest and fire at the interviews have burned out and left the industry. It's the luck of the draw really. Many partners here are exasperated that they can't seem to hold on to their associates for even just two years. It just goes to show how effective the interview process is. It's all a big gamble for the employers, and there is every likelihood that your most promising candidate could turn out to be a total disappointment, or leave for an international firm and a bigger paycheck within a year.

And this makes me wonder: perhaps an interviewer should take everything a zesty candidate says with a pinch of salt. I have seen so many associates who initially showed lots of enthusiasm and interest in a particular practice harbour a whole bunch of unrealistic expectations and fall into the trap of disillusionment when he/she realises that practice and everyday work just isn't as glamourous or fun as once imagined. Conversely, someone with a complete lack of direction might just be more open to whatever comes, and find satisfaction when it does.

Just a little muse for employers in here to think about.