Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - When Should You Consider Working Past 62 In Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 22-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am 45 and I am already retired from working for others. But I have not stopped working. I am busy managing my own personal investment portfolio. I have to read a lot of company reports, economic news, brokers reports, etc. I have to attend AGMs too. Life is still busy but at least I am my own boss. I don't have to struggle to work, stuck in morning and evening traffic jams and report to a much younger boss who knows nothing but just orders around. Many in this forum are still working even though they are already old and in their 50s because they can't afford to retire because they are not financially independent. I pity them.
What you said is the brutal truth. Many old people like myself still have to wake up early in the morning and report to a young boss, newly minted from some business school. This is our fault as we have not planned well for our future.

We just take life as it is without much financial planning. We suffer from lifestyle inflation. When our salaries increase, we upgrade to a condo, buy an expensive $200k continental car, go to US and Europe for holidays, spend a ton on our kids on piano, ballet, lessons which serves not much purpose. It is all our own fault.