Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Endless questions from HR - how to handle?
View Single Post
Old 14-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Unregistered

I'm actually with the poster. For so long, Singaporeans do not understand the concept of personal data and their rights to it. In Europe or USA such personal questions would amount to discrimination. Some companies in the UK even went to the extent to require agreement from the candidates to video the entire interview in order to protect themselves.

The logic is simple: which schools your kids attend or what medical coverage your spouse has has absolutely no relation to the job. The advertised job is not dependent on these factors to select the most suitable candidate based on what has been advertised. Put it this way: Would the HR list these factors in the job ad? If they did anyone can sue them under unfair hiring practises.

I once had an interview with a HR of stat board. She went so far as to probe how did I get the money to fund my studies if I wasn't on a scholarship? I objected by asking her how is this related to the job? She was visibly offended and did not probe further. But excuse me? That was a rude and completely unprofessional question. And she had probably probed similar rude and unprofessional questiins to hundreds other candidates.

Needeless to say, although the job was attractive i had an extremely poor opinion of the company values.