Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Stay or join new company?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 12:51 PM

nooewbie is on a distinguished road
Question Stay or join new company?

Hi everyone,

Need some opinion here.

I have been offered a 1year contract role with renewable/convert to perm depending on performance and headcount, but everything is good with my current job except the pay and also i may be due for a promotion next year to at first, a senior title. I was just trying my luck to see as I asked for a approximately 37% increment based on my current salary.

However, just recently, as my company is aligning title to HQ staff whereby degree holders will be holding a senior title, the promotion will be a Grade increase.

The push factor is that despite with promotion to higher grade next year, it is highly likely less than 10% increment as I happen to find out Grade promotion is 8-10% only.

The thing is default promotion path is: senior title --> Grade. However now that the automatically become senior with no pay increment, the next path is Grade, but that means it is like a double jump, will the increment % change?

I think my current Grade is the lower end of the salary spectrum, therefore when promoted to senior, it should be middle to higher end of current Grade. With the new title alignment thingy, its like skipping this senior title promotion. Therefore from lower end of old Grade to newer end of new Grade cannot be like 10% only? It's too narrow in my opinion.

The company I am working now is a govt related company whereby HQ is considered under stat board while we are not, it is still linked, so i highly doubt they will pay above that fixed % for Grade promotion.

Anyway, this new company decided to offer me 20% increment instead.

The dilemma here is that because of December AWS and also rumor of extra 1month due to company meeting management target, I may be missing out potential 2 months as well as the promotion/grade thingy though my promotion is not confirmed yet, only next April will know. All these are assumptions if i am promoted, which my boss say will try to fight for me.

The benefits of the new company is on par with my current company.

Right now I am a perm staff, but since it is converting to contract, I was hoping the increment % should be higher.

Should I go for it? or wait and stay like 7 more months after PB then decide from there? Can I assume 20% for new job is the norm?