Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Fresh Engieering Diploma holder to continue Engineering or move to Finance ?
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2010, 04:14 PM

sadsack is on a distinguished road
Default Fresh Engieering Diploma holder to continue Engineering or move to Finance ?

Hi all,

I am a fresh engineering diploma holder, finished NS and currently work for an MNC in the electronics company. I started working, not furthering my studies because I did not manage to get into a local university, as my poly results are only average.

After looking at the current situation in the electronics scene (low pay/raise, poor job prospects, excessive foreign talent), and all the disillusionment, regrets faced by the engineers who shared their experiences (efforts not recognised, undervalued, overworked) and all the threads by admin to get out of engineering, replies/discussion in the forum. I'm kinda demoralised and beginning to have my doubts whether I had made the right choice when I chose to study electronics engineering in polytechnic.

I initially wanted to further my studies at Unisim Electronics. I like the notion of creating something useful to improve the quality of life as what engineer would do. I also feel the satisfaction of resolving technical problems. But now, I can't see much future with electronics. Unisim still having some reputation problems from what I observe.

I wouldn't say I have passion or interest in engineering, its just a job to me. I would have gone for something if I can find an interest/passion in a particular field. Since the banking and finance sector is so highly rated now, I'm thinking of going for the degree in that subject. I don't think I wanna make the mistake like many of the people that posted here, and especially now that I'm still young. Recently, I'm also taking an interest in the finance subject, reading up on my own accord, seeing how money works and the world that revolves around it.

Should I at least switch to a different field, like Aerospace industry ? The government seem to be pushing for this right now, with WDA providing subsidies, and Unisim collaborating with Embry Riddle to give out degree courses. The aerospace MRO services sector seems viable in the long term, still having a booming record output even in the 2009 economic crisis. Or chemical engineering, working in the gas/oil industry ?

But I'm not sure if I'm cut out for the finance sector. What are the qualities and pre-requisites that I should have, knowing that the competition is stiff and environment is stressful and cut-throat ?I would say I'm just an average person with the average intelligence/aptitude. I have read that I need to be numerate and highly analytical to be in the finance line. That said, engineering is not easy either.

I humbly seek your advices and appreciate any help and clarifications that you would offer me.

Thanks !