Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - First Job: Is it Normal to Struggle?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshGradStruggles View Post
Hello ... I am fresh graduate from NUS, and around three months into my first job now. It is something I studied for, really like and the organisation is also one that I have always wanted. Pay is also decent, and colleagues are nice.

In short, I kinda lucked out there.

The issue here is, I feel that I am struggling and not performing. Though colleagues do teach me stuffs, I feel that I am just not keeping up - even for a fresh hire. I am in my third month, and I still am unsure of even miscellaneous matters such as who to CC and etc. Just last week I submitted a report to my direct supervisor, and he rewrote almost the whole thing. He was nice about it, but I felt so useless. It was not even a particularly difficult report to write.

I still really like what I do, and I reckon it may also be because of this very fact that I am so stressed out. I want to be seen as competent, but I do not think I am doing that well.

Is this normal? Is three months too short for me to think that there may be an issue with my capability? Are there fellow mates in their first jobs who have the same woes?

Please do share stories.
You are fortunate to have such patient people around you.

From my personal experience, MNCs typically have a more structured hand-holding training for the first 4-6 weeks, thereafter you are expected to go it on your own. GLCs are less forgiving and a lot more is expected from a grad... training is minimal (1-2 weeks at most) and you are expected to learn on your own, be inquisitive, find your wan about. sink or swim is the mentality.

Honestly, not knowing rudimentary things like who to cc after 3 months is not good. you should figure it out in the first month.

Keep a notebook handy to jot things down. However don't hover around your colleagues or stick too closely cos you may irritate the hell out of them after being around for so long and still having to ask all kinds of questions.

If all else fails then just hang in there, not everyone can make it to management and this natural selection process is vital to other people's progression.

Cheers.