Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 29-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not too sure if the contributor was/is in a Policy role, but what he or she shared about CS/PS is most certainly true. No clue how the chill image of CS/PS came about, but my time in Policy roles involved countless late nights and "shelling" (i.e. as I mentioned earlier, be prepared to stand corrected). In fact, I had to work well into 3/4 AM within first few months. This is because while there often are deadlines, work in Policy roles just can't be rushed (e.g. writing an assessment on something is not something you can magically churn out before 6 PM).

Take heed.
Yes I was in a policy role, and truth be told for a first job to take on writing policy or stating a stand, being prepared to be shot down by your boss and go through alot of ding-dong with your bosses and senior management, it's really quite overwhelming for a fresh grad. If I could use an analogy, it's like throwing you into the deep end of a pool when you haven't really even mastered threading water.

Still it was great exposure and I got to work with really committed and intelligent people. It also helped me discover what I didn't really enjoy doing, and what I could foresee myself doing in the future. Some of the colleagues I worked with really put in the effort and hours to get to where they are, but of course there is also the small handful who rise up the ranks purely by virtue of the scholar route.

I'm doing more of a functional role now, which is a little similar to what I used to do, but has a larger operational aspect to the job.