Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Oxbridge Master Degree Holder and 2 years Work Exp
View Single Post
Old 13-04-2010, 04:51 AM

simplelife is on a distinguished road

hi pstarz. I registered on the forum so that it might be easier to communicate.

I understand your predicament, and the opportunity cost is probably 1-2 years of savings + a year of earnings. That easily amounts to about 150k SGD++, which is a tidy sum of money, so you want to get it right.

I would say it's easier to pay off your study loan fees if you work outside Asia, i.e Europe/US unless you got a job with an international consultancy or bank. Personally, I'm a trader working in Europe after my graduation and it took me about a year to recoup my opportunity costs. So perhaps I am luckier than most, as I got in a career that pays well. But based on my understanding, an associate in consultancy can earn up to 70-90k EUR, 60-80k GBP too.

To be honest, I did it because I have an interest in finance and trading. I wasn't really in it for the money, but it was a good bonus. And if you have a strong interest in the job, 10-12 hours per day isn't really tiring.

So, bottomline is to do something you think you will enjoy. And if you excel in it, $$ shouldn't be a factor.

As in how it opens doors, there are a lot of alumni sessions in the universities where you socialize and network. And if you strike it off with an MD or a CEO of a company over a cocktail event, you might get job interviews/offers on the spot. That's how it works in these places.. Of course, you can also cold call alumni and ask for job leads...

In the end, I feel that if you have the opportunity to study in a top school. You should seize it, your opportunity costs will only increase over time. And, don't be too obsessed with the ROI/$$. You're a smart person, so you will definitely earn enough in your lifetime to recover your cost.. don't let $$ hold you back. That's my 2 cents.