Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Oxbridge Master Degree Holder and 2 years Work Exp
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM

pstarz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To pStarz. Yes. My oxbridge masters (finance related) degree helped me get a front-office finance career. I used to be an engineer. I find the networking opportunities and alumni support amazing compared to local unis.

But do note that an oxbridge degree is not a magic wand and success depends a lot on the individual. There are ppl I know who graduated with top uni degrees but are jobless. But if you are generally hungry and hardworking, you will definitely do well ... Strong education credentials just makes it much easier to achieve one's aims in the corporate world.
Thanks again for your advice. I feel that I am still lost at the moment. Moreover, I am not even sure if finance is the right career for me. I mean I've always excelled and enjoyed the ******** type *cough* marketing *cough* organizational behaviour type of courses at undergrad. I could get excellent grades with very little effort. Whereas courses like corporate finance, I actually had to study to get decent grades. I feel like I've sold myself out to 'make money'. I hardly consider what I am earning now to be good money... considering I work 10-12 hours a day. Though, I'd love to earn more money by joining FO if I put in that much effort. You see my dilemma?

I would like to ask if you always had a passion for finance or are you just doing it for the money. Also, are there bucketloads of brand name school grads in FO in SG? Will I just be another insignificant one? May I ask if you are in Sales/Trading/IB/Research? And what are your thoughts on a FO career. Are the hours and effort that bad as many claim it to be?