Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much savings do you have?
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Post 753...
Ah yes I see it now, I've been reading post 753 onward.

Your liquid usable cash works out to be
50K (cash) + 40K (Stocks) + 160K (CPF although not call can be used) +20K (SRS) = 270K

Value of Property = 1.8 + 630K + 380K = 2.81 M
Cash Flow = 250K
Total Loans = 1.37 M
Value/Loan = 48%

I would say your current position is comfortable given the two of you are working and can cover the debt obligations. Unfortunately none of your assets are providing any return at the moment and your biggest asset is your home.

So long as you keep working you should be able to weather out some minor/major property correction despite your current savings. But if one of you lose your job and the market took a hit then the story would be quite different.

I won't sayif retiring in Msia is the right step to take, however I feel that you need to shed some debt and put more money into your rainy day fund. I would say at least 300K in cash (exc CPF) and 20 - 30% less debt would be ideal.

And if your are serious about wanting to live in Msia and have a property based passive fund then your should sell your landed and buy condos which give more yield. Your target is higher passive monthly income and not long term capital appreciation. You need to decide on which is your priority and act accordingly.

I can you thought are thinking of selling your terrace you're actually more keen on keeping it, we also have a landed Semi D that I rent out, its worth about 6 - 7 M and I get about 7.5K for it (pathetic). Every time an issue crops up (air con, plumbing, curtains) etc I am looking at a minimum 4 digit bill if lucky its low if unlucky its high. so consider your ancillary cost too.

We can debate to death but at the end of the day it your choice, when 2019 comes move to JB if you like if your savings vs debt has not improve I will not recommend quitting your jobs mainly because you are at thin line if economy takes a downturn. Why don't you move to JB and setup the various bases then review your situation after your properties TOPs and you rent out your terrace. Then you will know if your plan works or not long term, worse case you can always move back no harm or foul. We are all driven by circumstance so consider yours and decide carefully.