Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - am I underpaid?
Thread: am I underpaid?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Verified Member

Windy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I graduated from NTU in 2008 and I am 24 years old this year.

I worked in a shipyard as a marketing assistant after I graduated and I was making $2,200/month. I stayed in this job for 6 months and left as I felt I was not learning anything. I was made to photocopy, compile papers and put them into files mostly.

Now, I am working as a sales exec in a small semiconductor trading company and it has been 10 months. I get a basic pay of $2,000/month + commission. However, I still make less than $2,400/month plus commission. I work monday to friday 8.30 AM to 8.00PM.

Please advise if I am being underpaid or I just suck at what I do. My friends are getting paid at least $3,000 as a fresh graduate and they are not any different from me.

My Background:
I graduated from NTU Business (Marketing) - 2nd Lower. My grades are not fantastic, but not too bad as well, mostly Bs and some As (GPA: 3.8/5.0). I was quite active in school, participating in one exchange programme and one global summer studies programme.
$2.4K as a sales person is indeed low but your 1st job of 2.2K doing all admin stuff is in fact pretty high . It depends on what you're working on, doesn't matter what you graduate as. I've got lawyer friends working as editors and journalist.

What is important is what do you really want in life? Decide on what you want to do before thinking about $$.