Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Unregistered

One of the best ways to help the poor and needy is to provide them with jobs. Everyone wants to have a good life, if not, at least a comfortable one. That's why people come out to work, to earn money to support that lifestyle. Those with family will have to earn more, and work more years.

Many of us know someone, either neighbors or colleagues, who quit their jobs early for whatever reasons, only to end up with too much time on their hands but with little money. We should avoid this. It is still ok when you are still young and employable, and realised early that the money you saved up may not last the years in retirement, and quickly get back into the workforce. But it would be tragic if you are older, less employable when you realised that your savings will not last the distance. Then in all possibility, you will end up needing charity in your later years.

It is one thing for people who have made it early and decided to retire and smell the roses, but it is another thing for those who blindly follow these richer individuals to also retire without sufficient savings.

Here you have a poster who said he made it, and decided to retire at 50. Then you have a poor guy wanting to follow him. And his solution is: lease back his home to HDB, rent out his rooms, and cut his lifestyle to bare-bones. To me, this is tragic.

And for those who constantly think of quitting their jobs, you only have to see how much the unemployed are struggling to get a job! It is not a good feeling to wake up every day waiting for that call, that interview that never comes. You start to lose belief in yourself, in your self worth. Feeling is depressed is common among them. The stress of finding money to feed your family is far worse than that from being a slave to your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm retired at 50, while I don't earn much in passive monetary income (enough for my family's needs with some savings buffer), I earn a lot from the hours I have at my disposal. I earn $1m pa from the value of total hours work per year. I used to work 14 hours a day, 6 days a week, so based on each hour I value in my life, I earn $1m pa in terms. I'm now a free man, no longer a corporate slave.

Life is great if you know how to value it.

To me, all the assets, properties I own is just a means towards true happiness. Stuff doesn't gives you true happiness. Our needs are not much. Just spend on what is necessary, be debt free and be free from sinful spendings. Be kind and give away as much as you can to the poor and needy. Leave to your kids just enough but not too much.

As a multi millionaire, I try my best to give back to society.