Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Biz Analytics, Finance or Mathematics
View Single Post
Old 23-08-2014, 02:50 AM

chobits is on a distinguished road
Question Biz Analytics, Finance or Mathematics

Hi all,

10 years ago, I was forced to leave NTU civil engineering after studying there for 3.5years. my results were really bad, failing some subjects 2 or 3 times. With just an A level cert, I joined the workforce. I was a telemarketer, insurance agent, private tutor, sales coordinator and then admin assistant.

I finally repaid my tuition fee loan and also settled down as admin support in life insurance underwriting department, where I've been working for the past 2 years. When I started my first job, my pay was only $1300 but I'm getting a decent $2400 now. My current boss is very supportive of training staff and I learned a lot under her. Recently, I was also given the opportunity to help out with the work in claims department. I am quite happy with where I am right now. However, deep in my heart, I still want to get a degree.

I learnt that I am still eligible for government subsidy for a degree and would like to enrol with Unisim. I narrowed my choices down to Business Analytics, Finance and Mathematics.

I have always been working in a financial institution so I thought very naturally I should get a degree in Finance. Furthermore, it conforms to CFA level 1 and 2. Getting this degree would also arm me with the knowledge to invest my own money in future.

When I first saw the course BSc in Business Analytics a few years ago, I was very excited and wanted to study it right away. It involves working with large amounts of data and translating to end users. However, it also seems to be a very new and rojak course so I'm afraid it won't be recognised. Then I thought why not get a degree in Maths instead as it is a very versatile degree.

Quote:
A UniSIM mathematics degree is the ideal first degree. It prepares you with strong quantitative/analytic and problem solving skills which are highly sought after in many diverse fields including finance, management, logistics, research, computing, IT and of course, teaching.
I have read through the modules for each degree and also the possible career progressions. I still cannot make up my mind on the degree to take. I'm wondering which degree would enable me to leverage on my experience in insurance industry. I'm already 32 this year so I don't think I have any room for failure this time round. Can anybody be so kind to give me some advice?

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks in advance.

Last edited by chobits; 23-08-2014 at 02:54 AM.