Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What is an Oxbridge degree worth nowadays?
View Single Post
Old 15-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstarz View Post
Thanks. A friend of mine knows someone who went to MIT (yep the real MIT) and he had a back office job just like me, he then completed an MBA from NTU, and could not find anything other than another back office job in a different foreign bank after graduation last year

My reservations are:
- I know IB guys work 24/7 and I am not sure if I can take the pressure. I want to be paid well, what are the other industries can i explore besides the ones that are well known for slave driving (Consulting and IB firms) Plus, I don't know anyone at the top, and ive heard most of these jobs are gotten through connections.

- If i were to get a cambridge degree, how much weight would HR put on it? I also don't wanna look like a goofball having 3 degrees and seemingly overqualified? I know people who had masters (CFA Level 3 included) had to remove them from their CVs because local banks told them that they were overqualified? Oh gosh..
Your MIT friend should have gone back to MIT for a masters. I believe you other friends also did not have masters from reputable UK/US universities. With all respect, NUS and NTU are too overrated. That said, SMU is the most overrated of all! haha...