Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need career advice! HELP!
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesunray View Post
hello people,

i need some help in making decisions regarding my career. because i am stuck and i don't know what to do. any advice will be greatly appreciated! sorry that it is just a long post... but i really need u to understand so that u can help advise me...

thank you!!

-----------
where i started:
i graduated with an accounting degree at a local uni but did not join big 4 immediately because i didn't really like what i studied . i literally suffered through university and i felt that it really was not suited for me. of cos, i scored Cs throughout except for my electives like marketing, psychology etc.

first career:

hence, i decided not to waste my time suffering in big4 (likely will not pull through the 3years) and tried contracting teaching in a pri school.

i thought i would enjoy it because i used to volunteer and generally liked kids. i thought a job with more social aspect will be better for me (knowing myself, i don't think i have the maturity at that point in time to handle career in social work).

altho i did enjoy teaching and colleagues/supervisors were great, but i did not sign the PGDE bond. mainly because i was always having gastric and just literally tired from taking all the classes (my school was shorthanded) from 8am to 4pm (with one 1hr and one 30min break in btw.) also, i felt that i could not teach for the rest of my life and transiting out from teaching to other sectors will be harder. it will also render my accounting degree obsolete, and i need a mental challenge that teaching cannot offer.

second career:
so i quit after half a year and got a job in the statutory board at the same pay of $2.8K. did not like the culture and felt stressed managing the bureaucracy, inefficiency and unfriendly colleagues. but big bosses were ok with me and logically my career can go on there. my pay increment was not bad, about $400 for staying there 1.5years. but i left because i was unhappy and i stagnated in terms of learning (no mental challenge) .

third career
took a paycut of $100 to join hospital doing financial analysis work. i liked the people, the job, and environment. there is some meaning to what i'm doing and job is stimulating... of cos, stressful in terms of challenges and deadlines but i can accept it.

im doing very well and better than my peers, because i had to be an independent learner in my previous job where colleagues dont help you. but the increment is low, like $100 per year. there are politicks and favoritism, but can look past that and i can forsee myself staying on for a least 3years. i have been here more than a year, and time really flies when a job is tolerable and colleagues are ok.

my question
should i stay on? my main complaint is pay and career suitability / direction.

will i become obsolete because i don't know full sets, gl accounting etc? shld i switch to other finance jobs? i tried looking for other finance jobs and ALL DON'T appeal to me... frs and things makes me sleep.also the challenges that come with going up corporate ladder in finance sector just scares me...and i am generally not very happy doing finance work...altho i can tolerate.but just not in the long run.

i considered going back to teaching, but the lack of mobility across schools (if i kena bad principal and colleagues, or heavy workload) is something that puts me off. i prefer a career where i have flexibility to change organisation. i am also not confident of myself to handle the teaching responsibilities including taking kids on fieldtrips/overseas etc. also feel like teaching is not really teaching when you don't focus on caring and devleoping kids... nowadays just handling colleauges, parents, marking... mayb teaching really not suited for me or i am just picky.

i have considered psychology, social work when selecting a uni degree. i tried volunteer work with social worker, in the various settings like old folks home etc. feel like there is no mental challenge and you are just executing the govt policies (not really helping ppl or hv autonomy)...

i have lately considered being counselor in a school.. but i don't want a pay cut as i am planning to get married and have kids in 3years time... it will just set my plans back more...i don't know what are the challenges like, can anyone advise?

I hope ppl can give me some options. or let me know if it's because i am picky, or i am really in the wrong career and need to start finding the right one?
You keep saying all the jobs are boring and not mentally challenge for you. So what kind of challenge are you looking for?