Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

I don't think you will retire anytime soon if you review your thoughts (thinking twice) as I did.

I originally aimed to retire when I reached 55, but my view changed when I attained 2 things upon reaching 55. One is attaining our targeted networth of $5.5m and a passive income of $120k pa.

Somehow, the mere knowledge that you could walk away from your job anytime you want without fear of financial inadequacy removes a lot of stress. You start to view work differently. You no longer see work as a means to a livelihood, in other words, you are no longer a wage slave.

Secondly together with the passive income, we were raking in a total of $0.5m a year. This is beyond our wildest dream as both of us came from humble background. Like you, our children have also grown up reducing our expenses on them enabling us to save close to $400k last year - our highest by far. The few years earlier, we were consistently saving above $300k pa.

Like someone posted, the last stretch is the most "productive" in terms of savings. Why stop just when it is getting better?

And the ironic thing is, the earlier you retire, the more money you will need (more years in retirement). The later you you retire, the less money you will need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
4.5m networth. Stay in a condo worth 1.4m. 55 single income 350kpa, wife and 2 grown up children. Time to retire soon.