Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 11:50 AM

floralpeace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It pains me when I see young and the not-so-young people trying to get jobs without success. This should not be the case, but unfortunately this is the reality in today's fast paced world.

I count myself very very lucky I didnt have to go through this stressful and despairing experience. My employer came courting us before we even completed our studies in the Uni. Those, like me who were not choosy about the organisation and pay, were offered jobs immediately. For me, coming from a poor family, the pay offered was more than I could imagine and my parents were happy. And when they are happy, I am happy. That was enough for me, even when I found out later that my classmates got better pay in other companies.

Believe it or not, I have stayed with that company for 30 years now, while those classmates of mine have moved on. Some retired prematurely, while admittedly others did well as they moved from one company to the next better paying company.

Staying employed or in a company requires lots of commitment and work, not too much different from staying married. I must say, honestly, there were countless times I wanted to quit because of job stress and unhappiness of career progression (rather the lack of), but stick to it I did. Now that I am a "senior" in the company I always advise my younger colleagues to stay the course and not be discouraged by set backs either in their careers or projects. It is easy to "escape" by quitting in times of difficulty, but many dont realise they could be getting into bigger troubles like not getting the next job. Worse if they are married and have to take care of family finances.

What are my "rewards" for my so-called "loyalty" to my job/company? Monetary rewards: I stay in a condo, owned another for rental income. Both my wife and I have our own cars. Yes, looking back, things seem easy, but if I were to go through the process again, I might not be able to do it again.
Different ppl different situation.
My coy cant stay for tat long also. If I dun go out kna backstab til out oso. By that time nobody will consider for interview even.
Its like a relationship if the spouse betray will u make thgs work?
For me I won't. I will leave.
Knowing the current situation and thinking bk. I still would make the same decision.

Last edited by floralpeace; 05-08-2014 at 11:55 AM.