Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Fresh grad job dillemma
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Verified Member

lifeistough is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much to all of you for the excellent advice!

Apologies for the confusion I've caused. I'd just like to clarify that I don't have any issue with working long hours (law school hours are something like 8am - 11pm, and I understand that law firm hours are worse).

Its pretty clear also that its (almost) impossible to get a job with a similar starting pay and better hours. But I think the key here is starting pay. I was wondering if there may be professions out there that (despite having a lower starting pay) may outstrip law in terms of pay in the long run. From the associates I've asked, annual increments in law range from 800-1200, with 3-6 months bonus per year.

As an example, I have a friend who graduated 2nd upper (without distinguishing accomplishments) who secured an analyst role in an AM firm as a fresh grad around 3 years ago, and is now earning 5 digits PM.

I understand that I may be being unrealistic with my outlook. I've moderated my expectations accordingly, but believe that there is no harm trying to get the best position I can.

Thanks again!!!