Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dilemma in choosing my offer, Help!
View Single Post
Old 30-07-2014, 10:42 AM

ilhappy is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Unregistered;53963]I'm quite surprise a 2nd upper in Economics can only land up with 2 such unattractive offers. Is it from NUS or private uni?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm quite surprise a 2nd upper in Economics can only land up with 2 such unattractive offers. Is it from NUS or private uni?

If from NUS it means something is wrong with the way you apply jobs, write cv or attend interviews, might want to take a closer look at it. Usually with such good results should be able to get at least a perm analyst sort of role in public sector or big local company...
I'm from nus/ntu/smu. It's not easy to enter the MA/graduate program, I have applied many jobs directly but not short listed or replies. I believe they do internal hiring/referral and hencey cv is filter out, at the same time, I'm at a disadvantage as employers prefer candidates with working experience. In additon, many companies outsource their hiring, hence outsourced recruiters will look for candidates with relevance working experience as that's the criteria stated by the employees, hence I am unable to be short listed for perm position through the recruiters agent. I have friends who have been doing contract for 1 year plus as the banks are cutting jobs and also they do not have the head count to convert contract into perm. I think that even if bank have the head count, they will give the priority to the ones whose doing contract with them rather than a nus/ntu/smu fresh grad without working experience, as that's a risk for them to take. I have spoke to agency recruiter and that's where I get my information from. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am also surprised how difficult it is and that private sector emphasis a lot on working experience then academic. Well that's the truth I have to accept.

The 2nd offer is a perm position. I agree the 4 months contract is not a good position. But the perm? How do you define good job? Sales? Otherwise, in banks I think majority (>50%) are doing bank ops/back end+middle office.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app