Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 25-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am in the mid 30's and believe me i have seen all sorts of ppl, the smart ones, hide one corner ones, less smart ones, honest and dishonest, etc, etc.

I am not sure if you have self-reflected in your own work assessment. We are never critical of ourselves. Get a trusted colleague to critique you. I do that to get better. I am not certain why you perceive your colleagues who get promoted only because they know how to tripod their bosses, or market themselves (its a skill by the way). They may have worked hard as well, just that you don't know. They may seem to go home early on their jobs, but they deliver more, because of higher competence. You can get investigate their winning formula and learn from them. In my mind there are 4 types of employees,
a) the capable ones who can also market themselves (inflate their worth say 10-20%),
b) the capable ones who are the silent worker,
c) the less capable ones who can 'smoke' and market themselves (this sort of employees of
crumble later or hide from responsibility if they are lucky to get to higher grades), and
d) less capable ones who are also silent.

Which do you belong to? I hope either a or b.

For bosses, some types too:

a) the capable ones who are reasonable and consultative (very very rare)
b) the capable ones who very dictatorial (do what i say type, if not you kenna type)
c) the less capable ones who don't know anything and ask you do everything + claim credit
or push blame.
d) less capable ones who are very hardworking and making a mess of things and screw up
the employees work
e) Full empowerment type (aka hide one corner and dont get me involved at all)

What category do your bosses belong to? If you don't like them, change job, posting, whatever. No point demoralising yourself by staying.

To other readers. I like to add that civil service isn't a field of flowers. So avoid that sort of stereotype treating all civil servants as jiak liao bi. The civil service is very wide and a rather tolerant & benign employer. Naturally, you would have all employees of sorts of personalities & work ethics.The capable ones do a lot more work than the rest, because their peers aren't working as much. I would also say that the pay difference (in terms of PB) between one who slog like mad vs one who work normally is not very large. Some of the capable ones are the ones that may go into the pte sector where they will be valued more.

Agree that private sector is generally tougher to survive because there isn't as much resources to feed slackers and incompetent staff.
So agree with this post. Work my arse off and have been fortunate. But my pet peeve is the colleagues who coast do ok too. But the system is generally still fair. You give up a faster promotion route if you want work-life balance. Which is what my boss told me point blank: Unless you tell me you have other priorities, I am going to push you hard. At the end, it depends what you want in life. As a benchmark, I work till 2am n start work at 9+. Junior mgt.