Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Where got so few people in the civil service who made it to the highest MX level possible within the visible scheme as publicised by the public service division, and showing their maximum possible per month basic salary of $16,540, does it mean that ther is no more progression that that level?

Lets do some basic mathematical calculation here, basic pay(12 months)+ annual variable component(AVC)+AWS of 1 month+ contractual bonuses(unspecified number of months)
=16 months every single year without fail.

Therefore, at the very exclusive level, whereby a non scholar, because a scholar will be dropshipped to a ministry or statutory board as a department head, permanent secretary or deputy policy maker or some other big shots, according to the natural progression of the MX scheme,

a top NUS graduate say first class honours with excellent track record in his public service career, is able to earn $16,540 X 16-17 months per year=$264,640 to $281,180 GROSS salary, havent deduct taxes or CPF contribution yet.

Am I getting somewhere in my understanding about how our 1 out of 83 big guns ministry and stat board big wigs are getting annually? Thats about only 915 people in the whole country getting that type of salary. Are they on par with the PRIVATE SECTOR in this case?

I llok forward to your replies. I stand corrected if I made any mistakes in analysing the salaries(before tax) of top level civil servants, since the salary revisions in 2010 onwards.

Seems like u are cherry picking. Having worked in civil service for nearly 20 years, I have seen my fair share of things. There are only 3 'real' grades in civil service - 11 (working), 10 (management), 9 (Senior Management). The truth is that in civil service, very few people reach 9, and if you do get 9 you are likely to be in the enabling (HR/FIN/IT) functions because the more important positions would have been filled by AOs. And you do not get 16K immediately when you hit 9. You start from early 10K, assuming you don't make a single mistake in your first 20-30 year of your career. In addition, you will need to cross the bar to get further. In fact, your pay starts stagnating when your pay edge closer to the bars. Sometimes the increments will be in 100- 200 or in tens. But at the same time, you will also realise that having this much money (round 10K) is enough for decent living. Taking a pay view is really short term, look for intrinsic motivation (e.g., service to the people, returning of goodwill, etc). It keeps you going in the long run. If you are in the run for money, you will be grossly disappointed.