Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Uni dilemma, please help
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 02:45 AM
Unregistered

In my opinion, MinLaw isn't thinking things through very clearly.

They're so fixated on the supposed attrition of mid level lawyers, they fail to see the glut of law graduates being churned out by the UK universities every year!

The number of new entrants into the legal profession is dictated by how many trainees and associates the law firms want to hire. If the economy is good and profits are being raked in, they will hire more. If the economy is bad, they will hire less. Simple logic.

You can't increase the supply of praticing lawyers to combat attrition by increasing the number of graduates, since the bottleneck is at the hiring level.

We have second rate law grads from UK universities returning in huge numbers, and competing for places in law firms. If only the best and the brightest can enter NUS and SMU as a form of quality control, why recognise LLBs from second rate universities that aren't even particularly well regarded in the UK itself? It undermines the rationale entirely!

I'm so glad I graduated a few years back. The next generation of law graduates are in for a hard time.

MinLaw should do the conscionable thing and de list most of the Scheduled Universities aside from Oxbridge, UCL, LSE and maybe Kings.