Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Work culture in IHiS
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My view is that it’s a good place to grow, ‘cause you get to work on latest systems, major projects, and they invest in your training. We get calls from headhunters ‘cause there’s a shortage of experienced healthcare-IT ppl. But I don’t think the turnover here is higher than in other IT companies.
Let's all be honest with the rest that the growth here is minimal. In this place, you "grow" or promote by staying for as long as you can. It's a place for those who have no dreams of doing big in their career. Leave this place after a few years and you will find your experience has little value unless you plan on going into other gov healthcare groups.

Quote:
Actually, it’s quite fast paced here. The Regional Health Systems (healthcare groups) are expanding and prepared to invest in IT. Pay/benefits not bad at all.
You will feel the life here is fast paced because of all the pressings on you. You stand in-between everyone, and they all look up to you for answers that you don't even know. They will hold you for what ever answer you give to them and this is the stress. Your job is to be a good middleman.

Quote:
We get calls from headhunters ‘cause there’s a shortage of experienced healthcare-IT ppl. But I don’t think the turnover here is higher than in other IT companies.
In the end, for how ever long you stay at this place, you may learn something, but not many of these things you have learnt will bring you far. Before you think you are saving or going to save lives, no, you are not. They may sell you this novel idea too. The truth is, most of the time, you are just that admin/maintainer/mechanic/helpdesk guy for a system. When the real life savers (the doctors and nurses) have an issue with a system, they call you. You can't fix it, you call vendor. Vendor replies you, you are lucky. Vendor can't yet, you are deemed as hindering the life-saving process. Did you just think you are going to save lives? Think again.

You are just a middleman, what kind of headhunter calls do you think you can expect to receive?

Quote:
I am here ‘cause of the meaningful work and good colleagues. Sometimes before a project roll out, I see team mates still in the office into the night and I am still here too. It’s not ‘cause we have to, but because the project can save lives, and we all feel an urgency to help.
Turnover rate here is quite high from plain observation. Most people who are still in the office into the night will complain about their lives. It's naive to think that they are there because they are saving lives. Be honest.

Their pay is reasonable. AWS, VB and benefits are pretty good when compared to many companies.

For fresh graduates, just as what many here have said, stay away for you won't learn much. This cannot be your first job. You will waste your time here. If you have a thing for the healthcare sector, there are better places. This is a place for people who prepare to retire or enjoy bragging about the "big" things they had done when all they actually were doing were making phone calls and sending out emails, talking, talking and talking. That's the kind of IT you will be in, if you join them. You're warned.