Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Verified Member

name_less_user is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi. I am in a very similar predicament. Like me share my experience. I graduated from NUS Mechanical Engineering with a 1st Class Honours. Like many outstanding engineering graduates, I joined a big aviation MNC with the envy of many of my coursemates.

Soon, I find myself working from Mon-Sat and near to 12 hours a day (typical of engineers). I had what it takes in the company. Team was great and lots of exposure to projects. However, promotion seems far away as there are simply so many FT engineers slogging out hard. I had no time for anyone, including my family. Remuneration wise, I average $46k per annum as a junior engineer.

Fast forward 2 years, I made a difficult decision to jump to public service. I applied to one of the statboard as a policy executive. Things took a great turn. I was offered a salary of $4500 after confirmation. Average about 4.5 months bonus including AWS. I am making close to $75k per annum and $29k more than my previous job. I was rewarded financially but work was dull.

I did not regret the decision. Not only did I make $29k more, I had more time for myself and my family. I work from 8.00am to 5.00pm everyday, exactly what I am paid for. I did my best at work but also had a good balance of life with my family.

On weekends, I invest prudently with my salary. Many of my friends actually questioned my decision and believed I would do well outside with a 1st Class. I beg to differ. I merely trade it off for time to do my own things.

I do understand that my salary would eventually hit the ceiling in the statboard,. I don't mind. I continue to draw $9k/month with 8 hours of work and do my own investment outside. Who knows I might get successful and able to quite my job?

If I stayed in the engineering company, no doubts I would do well, but I would still continue with my pathetic salary and increment, slogging out 12 hours a day, 6 days per week.
Thanks for sharing your experience and we can definitely relate well to each other pertaining to perceived prospects in reputable engineering MNCs.

I'm grateful to hear of the antecedent recounted by you. It parallels my circumstances and offers valuable reference on thepossible ballpark remuneration in the public service for mid-career engineers.

Thanks!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app