Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Verified Member

name_less_user is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by towers View Post
1) Civil service is generalistic. Your background/experience shouldn't matter, especially if you're going into policy/strategy side. I had zero relevant experience, and I still got the job.

2) civil service is also pretty fair with pay. They will not undercut you just because you are on a much lower package now. It will be comensurate with your qualifications and experience.

3) I was an overseas scholar too, top student from a top London uni. I left in between to join the private sector, then rejoined the service with about 7 years working experience. I was offered slightly more than 6.5k base. Average annual bonuses at my board are 4-5 months. I got about 7 months in my first year. I reckon you should get offered around 5.5-6k. Hence your annual should easily hit at least 80k.

In fact, I think you would be looked on favorably for having chosen to serve out your bond. Shows that you are not a job hopper.
Thank you for your insightful post and comprehensive details. Similarities in our backgrounds made your remarks all the more relevant.

It is reassuring to note that the public service does not leverage indiscriminately on one's last drawn pay check.

Based on your personal experience, the public service package is indisputably fairer. More importantly, I'm relieved and reassured that a mid-career entrant's competencies and experience will be reasonably and consistently evaluated.

The information that you've provided reinforces my decision to consider the public service as a viable career choice.

Thanks!