Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_less_user View Post
Hi Esteemed Forumers,

I'm in the midst of considering a mid-career switch to the public service.

Having experienced the vicissitudes of my career progression in the private sector, where I've been short changed, thrown into the deep end of the pool and left to my own devices in an extremely stagnant environment, the stability and security of a public service career too appeals to me.

My background:
- Diploma with Merit in Mechanical Engineering (Top student, received LKY Award).

- Overseas scholarship awarded by a statutory board in collaboration with an industry partner.

- 1st Class BEng (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering UMIST, UK. (Top student, top university project).

- MSc Mechanical Engineering, NUS.

- Original arrangement was for me to serve my 6 year bond with the said industry partner. However, they decided to cease their operations in Singapore before my graduation. At that juncture, the statutory board immediately intervened and I made a conscious decision to have my bond transferred to a semiconductor company for industrial exposure and practice instead of taking up the offer to join the statutory board.

- Spent 6 years engaging in semiconductor technology development and systems strategy and design.

- Current annual package is a very modest $55000 (includes AWS + less than 2 months bonus).

- Now exploring public service opportunities in policy formulation, organisational development or research and analysis.

Queries
1) Would my background and experience be deemed unattractive or irrelevant to public agencies?

2) Also, I would like to hear everyone's comments on whether my current unattractive package would undermine the terms of any offer that I might receive from the public service agencies.

3) What would be the likely job grade and pay package that I should expect?

Cheers & Thanks!
If you had joined the stat board 6 years back.. Your salary you could be drawing now could be much much more already.