Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Am I underpaid???
View Single Post
Old 15-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Unregistered

Hi Everyday5,

Hope you are not too upset. My view is that since you have decided to come back to be with your family, then the risk of proving yourself all over again (and being underpaid) is there.

From your message, I can't determine how relevant & in-depth your part-time experience as Lecturer was to your current job. Therefore if it has no direct connection (e.g. music lecturer) to your current work & you were hired purely because of your masters in music, it is possible that your employer viewed you as an unproven talent and wanted you to start from scratch. They may actually have intention of reviewing your salary after probation.

However, if you have very relevant experience in US, you might want to speak with your current employer to renegotiate package or seek employment elsewhere if they are not willing to adjust.

In any case, I hope you won't regret & go back to US as things may not be better there. If you look deeper, alhough you may be earning double there, taxes are higher and so is cost of living. If you leave alone, you have other things to take care of.. e.g. rent, bills, opportunity cost.