Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 14-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

Don't be sad. You are luckier than billions of people around the world. Imagine if you are living in the slums of 3rd world countries. You are lucky that we have a public housing system that sells very cheap flats (direct from HDB). Now you have a home which is paid up. You don't worry about living on the streets.

You still own a car, whereas billions of people don't own a car. In fact, many people in Singapore don't own a car.

You should be thankful that you both are graduates, not many families in the world even have a uni graduate among them. The education you get is valuable. Anyway earning a combined income of $130k, even though may not be on the high side among graduate couples (this is a fact), is still decent. If you managae your finances well and do not splurge on wasteful stuff, you can still save and have a good retirement eventually.

What you can focus on is to be an excellent employee, who is of great value to your employer. Have a strong work ethic, you may be promoted and earn more.

Just know that there are graduates who are retrenched and has no job and earning nothing, at least you have a job.

Lastly, don't compare with people who earn more than you, this will never end, even if you earn $1m pa, there will be someone who will earn $2m pa, or $3m pa, etc. Live within your means and strive hard to better yourself in your work. But don't forget to contribute back to society through charitable actions.

I hope this encourages you. For me, I been working for more than 30 years in the corporate sector and was earning a lot. I had enough and now decided to retire as I have accumulated enough for me and my family. As a millionaire, now I manage my own investments and happy with what I have. There are other more meaningful things in life to focus on before I die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There are so many rich forumers here. I am ashamed to share mine, but here's anyway.

Graduate couple, 47 & 48, combined income $130k pa. Staying in a 20 year old HDB flat, bought very cheap, finished paying the loan. Own an old small car.

I think we are among the worst performing graduate couple (bottom 20% of graduate couples) in our age group.

Any graduate couples who are performing worse than us?