Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 13-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

Thanks for all the suggestions on where I should live, what I should do with my money etc.

There seems to be a common perception among forumers that if you earn $X, you SHOULD live in HDB. If you earn $XXXX you SHOULD live in condo, if you earn a million you SHOULD live in a GCB. I really don't see the connection between where you live and what you earn, just look at Warren Buffett.

Again some forumers say that because I earn this much, I should sell my HDB to someone who is more deserving to live here and should not be taking up a place meant for the lower-income. This is nonsense, as long as I meet the HDB rules for living in one, I'm fully entitled to do so. I pay tax as everyone else, I did my NS like all Singaporean males, I make charitable donations like some of you do, why am I not entitled to a HDB? Again, I will upgrade to private property at some point in time, but only on my own terms.

Where and how you live depends on your goals. For me, it's about financial freedom. Whichever way gets me to my goals the fastest is the right way (for me). A lot of what we achieved it through the lessons thought in the book, The Millionaire Next Door, where we strive to be frugal but not miserly. The way for me - is aggressive savings and deploying these savings into investments for $$ to make more $$. If you spend more than you earn, you will never be rich. If you save but leave them in the bank (with the miserly rates) you will never be super rich. It is when you save and invest (intelligently), that you start to establish the foundation of being rich.

Over the years, I saw how good investments are only available to the rich or high income earner. It is really ironic that these investments could have been made available to the lower income but the reality is that it is not. It is only when you get to a certain income level that you can partake in them. But that's for another forum...