Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
got to agree with the original poster. the govt's usual stance is that CS salary must be pegged to pte sector to remain competitive, but i really wonder who they are pegging to.

i have worked in a Fortune 500 MNC with crappy 1-3% increments with an average B/C rating. have also worked in a GLC at about 3-7% for a B/C. only in banking will you get something like 10-15% for a B rating.

if you think about it it really is in the interest of the paper pushing, policy making scholars to come up with inflated salaries and increments while all the while insisting that this is what people in the market it earning.

bullocks.
To be fair, policy work is not as simple as what people make them out to be - writing paper. Alot of research, inputs, and data goes into crafting out a brand new policy or even to review existing ones. You'll be surprised at the wide range of areas that needs to be covered just to craft one policy out, even though it appears relatively straightforward.

Remember, at the end of the day, it is still the biggest head out there that directs the direction, approve or disapprove the policy. So while people in the pte sector are puzzled as to why CS salary must be pegged to pte to remain competitive, the reason is because you really need to attract the smart ones (to have both breadth and depth) to join and stay in CS. And I daresay the red-tape and culture in CS can be worse than in pte, a culture not all can adapt and survive.