Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Does it make sense to leave Singapore for hometown in this scenario?
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Verified Member

Devjyoti is on a distinguished road

Unregistered 2:Yes its an arranged marriage, should I have told her about this MBA thingie before marriage?
I'm unwilling to go back to India because I really love this city, its a first world country just 4 and a half hours from my hometown in India, I love my friend circle here who're MBA's from top colleges and big i bankers & consultants, they're the "cream" professionally and I generally like being abroad. I have a big extended family in India and I was always the best student of my generation in my childhood, some of my cousins are now working in my hometown in ordinary jobs, I don't want to do the same thing as them. Also, some of my relatives live a semi retired life in India, they look after the family estate office & spend the rest of the say playing golf etc, my mom & I dread I'd become like that. Besides, my first cousin runs the city's biggest jewelry business which is a huge business in India, I can't ever compete with that, which is why my mom feels its best I live abroad(although I can't even compete with my i banker & consultant friends here).

I used to be a school topper, my best friend is in Singapore, he's a senior manager with McKinsey , , on the way to becoming a Partner, the rest of my friends too are doing very well, I want to "prove" myself once in Singapore before returning to India.

Unregistered 3: I said I don't want to do consulting as there's no work life balance, I'm looking for some other job with higher pay.

Unregistered 4: I have a family who owned a business a few generations back.Now the business has been sold, we still have huge property in posh locations in my hometown. My dad owns such a big property in the heart of the city, which he rents out for marriages in India, he earns quite a bit for every marriage & other party. I honestly don't have any business ideas of my own, my dad keeps telling me I should think of business ideas as I come from a business family, I also don't think I have the temperament for business in India, there's way too much bribing & corruption. I could possibly get a job in my hometown.

Regarding my wife, yes there's definitely that side to it, she does want the life of the rich & thats' probably the main part. Also, she feels I am unlikely to land any well paying job at 35 post this MBA, she says I'm also much lazier than my consulting friends who are into jobs with no work life balance, she says if my career is already stagnating now, its going to be worse post this MBA while my friends' will do even better for themselves then.