Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Contract job
Thread: Contract job
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 AM

mi8nami is on a distinguished road

Hi

Just an update I took on the contract job at a salary that's only slightly more than half of what a technician is getting according to one of the posts above.

And one month into the job I figure out contract job is really not for me at least not in this company. I have a degree with more than 5yrs marketing experience but as a contract staff i am thrown all the work perm staff don't want to do.
It includes administrative work like arranging for couriers, running up to
recept to receive goods etc. I never had to do all these work in my previous jobs because there's always a team admin staff to do it. I even have to support the admin gal now to do payment process!!! And the perm staff I am supporting can be taking leave and missing from office for almost 2.5wks for the 1 mth I am there.I feel I won't be getting anywhere in this job as it seems there's no headcount in my team at all. The previous contract gals in my team keep getting renewed as contractor and yet we are the ones who do all the work people don't want to do.

I guess oil and gas mncs are good companies for engineers and technical positions but not for marketing people and especially not so for contract staff. At least they should have been honest upfront during the interview that part of the job scope is doing admin work. Then I won't have accepted the job because that will get me nowhere in future.