Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What are you investing in?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, I have a question here which I hope all of you investment gurus can help me answer.

I'm a late bloomer, starting with investments in local shares in recent years. Made some good calls and bad calls as well. My problem is when a particular share is on the rise, and you're seeing some profits, when do you call it quits? Many a time I've sold on a profit (for eg 20%) and yet it still continues to climb.

Anyone care to share their own experience and how they usually handle such cases?

Thanks in advance!
If you know the coy/mkt and have time to do homework, then should hold on to the shares as long as if you believe that there are more upside and you have no other better shares/places/investment to put your money.

If you don't, then you are just trying to time the market. In that case, your decision should be based on your risk/reward appetitie. Set a upper/lower limit and generally try to stick to the strategy. If you are happy with 30% return, then sell it when you achieve it. If you are not prepared to take a 20% loss, then sell it when you reach that.