Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 28-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Unregistered

If you are depending on that $30k pa to survive, I would advice that you downgrade to a small HDB flat immediately. $30k pa ($2.5k pm) is hardly enough for a couple staying in a small HDB flat not to mention living in an EC.

At least in the HDB, you don't have to contend with keeping up appearances. It is already bad enough to have to scrimp and save, but it would very bad to worry what your EC neighbors are thinking about you. That's probably why you lost weight.

It is good that you shared your story as it served as a reminder to all of us to prepare for our retirement. I feel that the many posters whose current passive income exceeds their expenses did not factor in the effects of inflation in their calculation. Within a few years, their expense will catch up with and then exceed their passive income.

I have revised my targeted passive income goal two times already from $80k pa to $100k pa and now at $120k pa. I had estimated that my retirement expense to be $80k pa. The $40k buffer will be eaten away in 8 years by inflation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
We are a 55 year old retired couple. We live in an old EC, no more loan. We can't afford to own a car. We only earn a passive income of $30k per year from stocks dividends. We take the bus or MRT to move around. We eat bread for breakfast and porridge for lunch and dinner. I lost weight after I retired. We need to manage our spendings carefully. Life is tough.