Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 17-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Unregistered

The pay is only part of the story. The other important factors are whether the job scope is meaningful/fulfilling or not, prospect for career progression, work life balance and working environment.

Often people jumped into a higher paying job only to resign a year or less later.

Sometimes if you think longer term, a person would be better off working in a stable job (eg Civil Service) but with lower pay than in a higher paying one, but with lots of stress and uncertainty.

At the end of one's working life, the civil servant would probably earn and accumulate more than the guy working in the private sector (especially when the guy in the private sector has to jump ship now and then). That's what I observed from my cohort of close friends graduating from the Uni in early 80. Those of us who joined the Civil Service upon graduation are still with the Service although not in original departments or agency - that's a good 30+ years with the same employer! Now that the retirement age has been raised to 62, that's another 6-7 years for us to work at our job. Not sure how many in the private sector can have this confidence.

Very few who worked in the private sector are still with the same company. Yes, 2 or 3 did very well to join the top management of the Companies they worked in. Others by now are into their "retirement" careers like financial advisors, property agents and stock brokers.

My point is, consider other factors, not just pay in your career choice. That high starting pay may not be sustainable. Imagine having to start over at a new company at 40 (if you are lucky to get another job), while your friends in the Civil Service are moving up in their careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Diploma holder, 26yrs 5.55k no bonus, fixed bonus bring monthly gross to 6.9.. good?