Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Was my expected salary too high?
View Single Post
Old 15-12-2013, 02:20 PM

peMeo is on a distinguished road
Default Was my expected salary too high?

Hi all,

I have a bachelor degree in Financial and Accounting, which i think it's not so well recognized in Singapore. And then I got a offer from a small VC as Chief Administrative Officer. They offered me 2.1k as starting. I thought it wasn't too bad. However, my experience with this job was like hell. I was hired under this VC but I had to work for 3 different companies. I had to do all the admin, accounts, and operations, and being ordered around by another 2 staffs (not bosses). Quit may sound easy for some of you but not for me.

Anyway, I made my way through, and proved my abilities. So after 2 years up and down in that mess, now my current salary is 3.6k, and handle 6 companies instead of 3. As each of the boss has more than 2 companies. I initialized accounting system, and handled all the corporate secretary matters in the companies.

My concern right now is about my career advancement. As I don't think staying at this company will bring me any higher. I am very interested in Accounting and Auditing. Couple of months ago, the Auditing company that i am working with head hunted me, but I do not want to join them because it's a family business company (all father, sons, and son-in-law working together in the same company) So I've been applying jobs to some other CPA firms instead, but I've never get shortlisted Was it because my expected salary ~3.5k does not go well with my experience?

I am currently pursuing ACCA and ICSA (at the professional levels), expected to complete 1.5~2 yrs years time.

Appreciate if you can share some thoughts with me. Thank you!